Sunday, August 7, 2011

Would this be a valid law suit?

I work in a restaurant where we use the big restaurant tea/coffee makers. These have a faucet at the top of them that pours out SCALDING water. I am unsure of the temperature, but it gave me second/borderline third degree burns. I had filled a cup with the water to pour into our silverware buckets that I had to change before I could leave for the day. The cup slipped from my hand and scorched my . I am a young female so this has taken a HUGE financial and emotional toll on me. The recovery has been long and painful and I still have a long road ahead of me. I filed for workers comp so hopefully that will help. My point however, is that these machines are in the front of the house of the restaurant. The one that I was using is less than 3 feet from a table where customers sit to eat. Although a customer shouldn't touch it, it is accessible to them. The water, in my opinion, is unnecessarily hot. I also believe that something pouring out water like that shouldn't be in the front of the restaurant. The handle you lift says "Lift for hot water," but there is no caution about just how hot it is. I do realize that it was my accident because it slipped from my hand and I am not necessarily looking for monetary compensation. I really would like to see these companies either lower the temperature of the water being dispensed, take the faucet off the machine, or not keep them in the front of the house. I want to call a lawyer but wanted to get others opinions first. Please keep in mind that these burns are no small ordeal. It has required me to take 3 weeks off work so far, and I am a single mom. I can't go outside AT ALL and my car has to be pre-cooled before I can get in for risk of over heating because I p out. I can't be in sun for at least 6-12 months. I have to apply lotions and antibiotics 4-5 times a day, redress the wounds every 4 hours, mage the burn 3 times a day, and deal with the awful pain. I have a 1 year old daughter and for 2 weeks I wasn't able to pick her up or hold her because of the pain. Because of my pain meds, I can't be alone with her or drive. My s will be permanently scarred (and it is a sizable scar). They want to do laser resurfacing to help the scarring but that will mean 3 or 4 treatments. They put you to sleep for each treatment and there is recovery time ociated with that as well. It has really damaged my way of life and I don't want to see it happen to someone else. I just want to know if there is anything I can do. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment